: notes to self :

>

Friday, August 05, 2005

hook me up


sometimes, adam hasham is right. life is about the hookup.



Without the beloved Emiks in the 'Hama, i would not have gotten this, so soon:




the LIMITED EDITION Moriyama Naotaro Greatest Hits CD (2001-05)!!!!!!!! Aggggh I love it!!! It has Taiyou, Sakura,Natsu no Owari, Koe, Lester, and my favourite, Itoshi Kimi e-all on ONE beeyoootiful CD! heeheee...

and FINALLY!
mr acoustic/bluegrass guitar himself, yamazaki masayoshi's One Knight Stands



which has Boku wa koko ni iru, Serori, One More Time, One More Chance, and death-repeat favourite, Tsubame.

ah, lovely memories of a humid, cicaida-filled japanese summer chilling with Nino, Mt Doom I MEAN Fuji, the Naotaro concert with Mami, and my Chishima mansion =) Thank you Emika!!!!!!!!!!!!




I totally want to see this, my favourite Japanese actors, together at last!!















In the wake of all of this CD-induced giddiness, I feel it is my duty, nay OBLIGATION, to announce my candidates in the running to be my Rock-Star Boyfriend 2005. The Groupies Extraordinaire have set a precedent regarding eligibility and such, but hopefully my missive will not seem so...insane =)


Without further adieu, in no particular order, this year's candidates:

1. JOHN MAYER || The Constant


John and I met back in first year university through John's fellow Berklee alum, Liz. John and I hit it off right away, as he serenaded me with such period-appropriate songs like "Why Georgia," "Back to You," "Great Indoors," "3x5" and "Love Song for No One" from his No Room for Squares album. His voice, all smoke, scratch and soft, followed me wherever I went for the following few years, on every early morning drive, when every pang of nostalgia hit. We lost touch near the end of university, but I would still hear about him every so often, glad for all of his successes. We were reunited in Japan of all places, on the 2nd floor of the Namba Tower Records. The few seconds before I heard his voice again was a highly-charged moment and I wondered, what would be different this time? would Things be Heavier this time round? But as soon as I heard that familiar mix of smoke, scratch and soft waft towards me, I knew everything would be all right, despite the amped up melodies in the background. I will never be able to say no to his Angelina Jolie lips and East Coast swagger, especially when lit up with a stage spotlight.



2. YAMAZAKI MASAYOSHI || The Renaissance Man



Mas and I met through Nino one afternoon, during a sweltering Osaka summer. Our connection was not instantaneous as I was a bit overwhelmed by his foot-stomping, harmonica-wheezing, guitar string breaking, bluegrass side. At the time, I needed something softer to help me get over residual romantic feelings for another, and I wasn't sure I could turn to Mas for this. However, Nino persuaded me to give Mas another chance, and the B-side of Mas showed that he could strum softer, pause longer. "Tsubame" and "Furimukanai" became two of my theme songs for the summer and I am eternally grateful for Mas. It wasn't until later that I discovered Nino hadn't told me about Mas's forays into acting and writing novels, and it endeared him to me even more.







3. MICHAEL BUBLE || The Classic



Michael and I met through another mutual friend, Vicky Gabareau, back in the summer of 2003. The connection was instant as he had me transfixed with his disarming Canadian charm and deep love for his family. Conversation was easy, as I revelled in the fact that he had such a high regard for Sinatra and Bennett. Despite this we parted amicably, making those vague promises of getting together for a soiree or two in the near future that people so often make. He was such a class act, like he should have been born in yesteryear, free to sing such songs like "Sway" and "Come Fly With Me." However it was not until a chance encounter this year that I realized the depth of my affection for Michael. He had changed and matured over the years, and at our reunion, he had me at "Quando, Quando, Quando." He still astounds me with his dead-on impressions of the Greats; that smooth and malleable voice that belies a hidden grit and depth.





4. AMOS LEE || The Upstart



The courtship was brief and intense, Amos wooing me quickly yet slowly as every word landed emotion first, logic second. It hasn't been long since I knew life without Amos, but now, I can't imagine life without him. His unassuming manner remains steadfast, from afar or up close. And he's so easy-going and chill, I can't help but want to be near him.




5. MORIYAMA NAOTAROU || The Ingenue


When Nao first stepped into my world, high school students all over Japan were already agog with his song "Sakura," singing stoic renditions of it in their graduation ceremonies. He shocked my sensibilities and as such, won me over with his expressive and passionate nature that was so evident every time he performed. It was surprising as I was expecting him to be reserved, reticent... stereotypically Japanese. The more time I spent with him, I began to see that Nao was not just a singer. He was a songwriter, a comedian, a storyteller... an Entertainer. His open and engaging self drew people to him, like a j-pop Pied Piper. When he performs, I can't keep my eyes off of him, especially in such heart-breaking songs like "Itoshi Kimi E." His voice is beautifully showcased in songs like "Koe" which make use of his beautiful higher register, and when he's yelling at game show hosts for making fun of his mama.





***


Kids, do yourselves a HUGE favour and go to Taste of the Danforth this weekend. I'll meet you on the Danforth with a skewer of souvlaki in one hand, a fistful of olives in the other and a HUGE smile on my face =)




Comments:
A member of the Groupies Extraordinaire speaking...i have a few comments regarding this post:

1) I like how you keep the High Fidelity factor alive and well by selecting 5 candidates for your Rock-Star Boyfriend 2005 campaign. I am a big fan of the top 5 list, i am a firm believer that the world will be a better place if we can spend all our time making top 5 lists. (I actually did this during 4th year university...for 3 months straight)

2) Your list has diversity...that's good, since variety is the spice of life.

3) Are you going to see John "The Constant" Mayer on October 5 at the Kool Haus!?

I applaud you for making this list...it is a very daunting task to sort and select the "definitive" rockstar boyfriends list...now that you have done it...i am tempted to trim my list and name my top 5 candidates...
 
is that tsumabuki satoshi in that movie?
 
Another member of the Groupies Extraordinaire here...

I must also commend you on your list. Excellent selections (although I am still not sure of JM...haha :P). I don't think I will ever be able to make a Top 5 Rockstar Boyfriends List. I am actually envious that you were able to make one! Good job!
 
GE 1 & 2:

Thank you for your support of the List. I could not ignore my civic duty for much longer-the gravity of it was almost unbearable. J, I don't know if I'm going to see JM in October... it's the JM Trio so I am interested in checking out the beta version of JM.

D:
yes it is satoshi! and takeuchi yuko!! have you seen Lunch no Jyoo? Both of them are in it and it's a great j-drama!
 
I hate the Taste of Danforth nowadays b/c it's all these "outsiders" invading my neighbour, leaving a huge mess, heavy traffic, no parking space for ppl that acutally live there, and making much unnecessary noise.

The only good time to go is during the year, when the food and prices are EXACTLY THE SAME!! (minus the crazy crowd) :P
 
Will, don't be a Souvlaki Scrooge hehehe... yeah, i can see how danforth-ians would dread TofD. But street festivals esp ones centred around food are such good fun it's hard to be grumpy, no? And i do still enjoy the danforth in the "off-season" =)
 
Is that Haru no yuki? Has that been released yet?

Nice site btw!

TA,

Billy
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?