: notes to self :

>

Saturday, June 25, 2005

captain's log, stardate 6-24-05


last night was my first official foray into Yuppiedom with $2 dollar drinks at Schmooze After Work Fridays with some coworkers. I was actually pretty stressed out about it, some reasons being I can't "schmooze" for my life, group situations make me nervous as I feel more comfortable with the one-on-one, and there was only one other proofreader asked to come. Everyone else was from DTC, IT or marketing I think. To make things worse, I had to lug around a behemoth of a manuscript to finish on the weekend and traverse dtown in heels and on an empty stomach (non-eating due to nervousness).

Luckily I met up with team Harlequin at the door and you know what, the Schmooze-ing was absolutely fine. the people I was with are super nice and conversation was easy. Topics ranged from softball woes to Russell Peters to fake medical afflictions. SUCCESS!! Schmooze also has a really nice rooftop patio, marred only by the congregating smokers (sigh). I also managed to ward off the Asian reds till I left and checked myself out in the washroom at Chapters, where upon seeing at my reflection, I became quite frightened.

As for Yuppiedom itself... it was really fun to get dressed up (it's good to be a girl) and i had such a good time chilling with people from work ... but up close, Yuppiedom isn't all that attractive. It felt like something was definitely lacking in the room of people. This is not to say all Yuppies' lifestyles are big on style and short on substance, but it doesn't feel full enough for me. It's funny because I've sort of been attracted to Yuppiedom since I was a teenager, but now, standing at the threshold of a possible IKEA-beige lifestyle, I kind of want to run screaming into the hills of a lush green Malaysian jungle.






Comments:
Naomi, it's all about the Indie-Yuppie lifestyle...did you catch the TO star article from a few weeks ago??

see where it all started from here
http://www.stereogum.com/archives/001391.html
 
I have also been attracted to the Yuppie lifestyle since I was young. But I realized a couple of months ago that I don't know if I'm ready for it yet. Or some aspects of it anyway. I was done work, and we were waiting for someone else to be done work so we decided to go to Happy Hour at a pub/bar. It was surreal for me, walking in and seeing everyone in their work clothes, carrying their briefcases, but "chilling" at the bar. I felt completely out of place because everything seemed so contrived. I also felt like I was 16 years old. If you don't want to feel 25 (:P), just walk into happy hour at a downtown pub and you'll feel 10 years younger!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?