: notes to self :

>

Thursday, April 07, 2005

i coulda been a contender...


once a year, there comes a cold that knocks me clear off of my feet, rendering me incapable of speech, or lateral movement. remember Weird Balinese Disease via Shaun in '04? It sure packed a potent punch in a short amount of time (lasted for only a couple of days). I remember standing at the bus stop at Bentencho, feeling like my nose was slowly leaking grey matter, and my body was being battered by a trio of former heavyweight champs. Body blow! Left hook to the head! Uppercut! No flu/cold/illness has ever made me cry...until then!

However awful that was, the '05 version of the Mama Said Knock You Out virus has actually been a touch worse. It started out rather innocently, a scratchy throat which I assumed to be a consequence of jumping right into three hours of karaoke (after an inexcusable absence of a year), singing such classics like "So Far Away", "Boku wa Kokoni Iru", "Help", a Captain and Tenille song, and laughing myself senseless as MYM and Kathy sang "Drop it Like It's Hot."

The scratchy throat evolved into a full-on assault of the sinus cavities, beginning with a nauseating headache and distractingly painful body aches which I endured agonizingly at work (gaman suruyo! egh.) and tried to put behind me with 14 hours of sleep. I bet labour is less excruciating. At least you can opt for an epidural then. I was convinced I was getting better by the weekend, NOT! Sunday to Tuesday is one big mentholated blur. I took on an incredibly irritating cough, which I blame my hyper-Scandinavian-giantess of a leader Dawn from the Running Room for. (Speaking of which, as I was sad and sick, I couldn't do much except watch buckets of crappy TV. As a result, I will die an undignified death at the running clinic tonight).

But the kicker, which gives the KO to '05 over '04 was the Sore Throat to End All Sore Throats. I was down for the count yesterday because my throat felt so inflamed, I was afraid I had tonsilitis. Everytime I tried to swallow, it felt like rusty knives were scraping and slicing my larynx. I would physically wince with every swallow, and no amount of medicated cough drops would lessen the pain. Yet another virus bringing me to my knees. Whyyyyy immune system, WHHHYYYYYYYYY???




"ADRIANNE!!!!!!!!!!!"




cough.



I'm glad thrilled happy to report that everything is much much better today, and that is why i can laugh heartily at this... the sore throat a phlegmy shadow of its former awfulness. The cough is currently dying a wheezy death. Bring on the weekend! And food! oh how I have missed thee.

Bring on '06-I'll be ready.






Lesson to the kiddies: play safe and don't share your drinking boxes. also, Captain and Tenille songs are pretty high-larious.





Comments:
Shudder! The New Years Bali Virus!

I'm still afraid of the bali virus...That thing left me loopy....4 days without eating when I had it...that's strange even for me!

Glad you're getting back to healthy.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?