: notes to self :

>

Thursday, November 11, 2004

people can't DIE from too much cpu radiation, but i think their eyes start to fall out....



I get to work off-site tomorrow!!!!!!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Anyone want to meet me for lunch? I’ll be in lovely lovely lovely MARKHAM!!!




if any of you were worried about the ROM extension that is currently being built, here are some words from the architect:

“The extension tilts towards the sidewalk with striking three-storey glass display cases. Not often has a museum displayed on its exterior the treasures found within. In each of these windowsill spaces will be the skeleton of a dinosaur, staring down at the passersby below like an avant-garde sculpture about to come to life. Imagine what it will look like at night!”

-Daniel Liebeskind, Breaking Ground

to be honest, I wasn't too thrilled about the design, but after reading his book, I've come to understand the necessity for buildings like his; I'm excited to see what it finally looks like. I've been a fan of Liebeskind's ever since I saw photos from the Jewish Museum in Berlin. At first I was a bit startled at the starkness...light and dark intersecting each other at acute angles, fragmented lines...but there exists a syllogism admidst all of the haphazardness: despite the fragmentation, separation, dissolution...there can be coherence, unity despite brokenness. Architecture is what grounds time, and as such buildings should go beyond functionality. I think everyone knows that feeling of being happily overwhelmed by emotion when they enter a place that exudes beauty, power,...soul...which is why I'm frustrated with the number of big box plazas that are popping up all over the GTA. Drive West on Steeles and you'll become depressed by the overgrowth of those beige false-fronted boxes. The heart of Waterloo is dying because business is leaving the downtown core to patron the big boxes lying on the outskirts. Guelph citizens are fighting to keep Walmart out of their town.

sigh.


but i'm not going to cop out and say i don't hang out at my local big box. i do. and it sucks. darn you big boxes and your seductive convenience! aaaaagh.

to ease my conscience, i wish they'd at least inject a little creativity!! oy!






http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/











This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?