: notes to self :

>

Monday, June 07, 2004

transplanted

Laura is here and it`s great. She says she feels like she`s changed a lot during college... especially after spending time with Shaki and Richard, who according to her, are still the same guys they were before they left Toronto. I hate to say it, but Laura seems the same to me, the same effervescent and astutely funny girl that I know. I know she`s changed (how could you not after all of those experiences), but the core of Miss Ashley is still familiar. During the meet-up mishap at Shin-Osaka, we were on the phone and exasperated yet amused, she gave her characteristic giggle, and hung up. When I heard that, I thought happily, Yup, Laura is here.

I was trying to figure out if I`ve changed considerably over the past 9 months. The best I could come up with is that I know I`ve been through a lot, but somehow it doesn`t feel like the experiences have had their intended emotional impact. For instance, I didn`t crash and burn in November like I was supposed to according to the culture shock graph, I still don`t feel anything more than a vague sense of loss concerning Popo`s death (the word itself still feels strange)...Maybe I`m an emotional android. Maybe I`m Shaun =)

I always thought that you change less the older you become, but maybe that`s not true anymore. Maybe there is more room for variation nowadays. Laura and I were comparing how our dads had changed over the years, and if I place present-day Ots beside Ots from the 80s, the difference is remarkable. Of course he still believes/says/does some things the same, but who he is now is, I think, the best version.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?