: notes to self :

>

Thursday, May 13, 2004

try

I miss leading worship, hearing/seeing the congregation sing together. I can usually hear Russell with his nasal twang, Nori`s expansive tenor, Susan`s perfectly pitched syllables since they sit at the front. When I tell people the G in JGCT stands for Gospel, I have this sudden fear that they`ll immediately assume we have a fantabulous 100-member strong robe-wearing, tambourine-shaking, note-riffing gospel choir, like the ones you see in movies. We`re anything but… only a small adult choir at Christmas, and there is no towel-waving or fainting then either. An outsider would probably describe the congregation as, “a reserved collective. During singing, heads are often buried in songbooks as if worried they will mispronounce lyrics. Some members appear to be suffering from Heavy Eyelid Syndrome (HYS) which often infects students and patrons of public transportation.”

I miss that frantic rush 40 minutes before service when Jaime (it`s usually Jaime heheh) and I would rifle blindly through the songbook trying to pick out a set of songs that were perfect for that Sunday. Before deciding on a song, we always ask the same questions:
a) did they sing this last week?
b) do you know this?
c) can you play this? (directed twds chika & co.)
and last, but most important,
d) is this too high? (I have NO range. You will not believe how many song options are thrown out cuz I can`t hit anything higher than a C)
If the answers were no/yes/yes/no, the song was IN. Not a perfect process by any means, but it works for us =) Maybe two run throughs (stopandstart stopandstart) and then ta-DAH! Sigh. And don`t even try to imagine the panic when 5 min before service, Susan would surprise us with an obscure hymn we had to lead everyone in singing. Back in our seats, Jaime and I would mutter something about “Arts York..sightsinging…” and then try to pick through the melody. I usually have zero to little success--AY theory, why have you forsaken me? As a result, I`m often mouthing the words, gifted worship leader I am NOT =)

Yeah, I`ve heard rumours that people like, get together before Sunday, and like… praktiss, or something. What is this word, praktiss? Sounds like new-fangled linguistics to me! But really, the craziness is nothing much, especially when everyone is there, finally singing together. Up close, people`s voices sound so different, almost disjointed, barabara, since someone is always flat, sharp, on the wrong page... will this song ever sound perfect? but when you stand at the front, and look at them as just people, without any unrealistic expectations, you`re amazed at the beauty of their voices. The worry of the previous hour disappears, and you forget about your need to have things your way, and you just try to fit your voice in the perfect swell of song slowly filling the room.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?